1.31.2007

Screened Words




A short excerpt from Screened Words (From a 6 hour stream typing project recorded in time lapse video):

BORGES: That is due, perhaps, to an overemployment of circumstantial details, a way of writing I learned from poets; it is a procedure that infects everything with falseness, since there may be a wealth of details in the event, yet not in memory...I believe, nonetheless, that I have discovered a more private and inward reason. I will reveal it; it does not matter that I may be judged a fantast ("The Immortal").

I : This moment commemorates a moment passed while a janitor walks by trundling a wastebasket. The broom sweeps the gravelly wheeling rhythm across the floor. Its auditory texture strokes my fingers, which salivate with Pavlov's-dog-zeal to imagine a two-inch bristle brush running over a congealed sand mound doused with enamel paint whose cracks form the spaces between these letters: I have devised these bars for my conceptual detention and I have swallowed the fragments I might have shored against my ruins. The words fall, half masticated, out of my mouth. As Tradition tips Fernanada's faded urn towards me, half-mockingly, catch a glimpse of words spittooned by the many previous word eaters, glistening with the sickly hue of a rotting jellyfish.

BORGES: I willingly admit that he has written a number of sound pages, but those pages will not save me, perhaps because the good in them no longer belongs to any individual...but rather to language itself, or to tradition.” (Borges and I)

I : Momentarily dreamt I was sliding through a shifting resin structure cast by halogen lamps positioned to glaze the space with an unbearable lightness of being. The sculpture is a checkmate, two checks mating, perspiring shadows along the ceiling. The shadows were dripping down the walls and I moved with them, the way telephone lines in the sky transform themselves from a two dimensional line image to implied movement carving away the solid marbled sky tone to free negative space labyrinths with their electronic communication buzz.

BORGES: Every act (every thought) is an echo of others that preceded it in the past, with no visible beginning, and the faithful presage of others that will repeat it in the future, ad vertiginem. (“The Immortal”)

I : Every act (every thought) ad vertiginem, the faithful presage of others that will repeat it in the future with no visible beginning is an echo of others that preceded it in the past....

No comments: